Lavaman Training - Week 11


Every week I feel like there is something that is holding me back. I know that 90% of it is me and the way I approach these things, but then there's the other 10%. This week it was lingering illness and a mystery ankle injury that made things challenging.


I had a great swim on Tuesday morning, but the evening ended up getting away from me and I just didn't have time to run. Excuses, I know, but I'm owning up to it and moving on. Wednesday I had a good bike ride despite still feeling tired from my long run and ride the previous weekend.

I slept through my alarm on Thursday morning and missed my swim, but managed to get my run in. Fortunately the workout (4 x 8:00 @ tempo) felt a little easier than I expected it to...except when I was running uphill into a stiff headwind. Tempoing into a headwind or uphill alone is never fun, but once you combine those it becomes torturous! When I got home my left foot hurt a little, but I figured it was just because of the grippers I've been wearing on my shoes to prevent death by falling on the ice. When I woke up on Friday morning I could hardly walk when I got out of bed. Things loosened up a little, but it was pretty painful. I again figured it was just some angry muscles from wonky running form on uneven surfaces and slippery ice. When I got home on Friday I looked at my ankle and realized that it was both swollen and bruised. I still have no idea how that happened. I have been icing and taking ibuprofen ever since to try and get it to feel normal again. That little episode turned Friday into an unintentional rest day.


Saturday was another planned rest day because Sunday was my first brick workout. Eek! I survived, but I must tell you that running after you bike is no joke. I did alright, but there was a lot of walking and feeling like I was running through quicksand. I suppose that is why one practices these sorts of things...because they are hard and get slightly easier with practice. 

Next week is a recovery week for me and I'm REALLY looking forward to that! I can't believe that in almost exactly 2 months I'll be done with this race!

Martha Rosenstein