chicken curry + whole30 days 21 & 22
I posted on FB last night that I was "coding the heck out of my next blog post." Well, some of you may not be impressed, but I managed to figure out how to get a box around my recipe. Seriously, not as easy as it should be in the world of 1s and 0s. Big pat on the back to myself for that one!
On to food. I adapted this recipe from the Weight Watcher's Cookbook. There are some surprisingly good recipes in there that only require a minimal amount of tweaking to make them full of good fats and free from grains. Of all the curry recipes I've made, this one is probably one of my favorites!
// grain-free // gluten-free // dairy-free //
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons peeled fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 broth (chicken, vegetable, or bone)
- 1 can coconut milk
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes per side depending on thickness. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to skillet. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and curry powder; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth, coconut milk, and chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and bring liquid in pan to a boil. Boil uncovered until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Serve over cauliflower rice.
Whole 30 update: There is nothing exciting or interesting to report about Sunday (day 21). Monday (day 22) I ate a delicious mashup of apples, pecans, and bacon for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, and chicken curry for dinner. I can't believe it's been three weeks already!